Sunday, September 21, 2008

Those Damn Tomatoes!

Here's my clutsy story for the day... Henry was off playing with some neighbor kid, Dan was up talking with another neighbor at their house, and Alice & I were in the veggie garden. I was pulling out all my icky rotting tomatoes which I'm so disgusted with this year! No good ones at all. I had the big garbage bin there and was quickly filling it up with all my veggie remnants. Well, it got so full and heavy that I could hardly move it. This is hard to describe so that it's believable - but, I sort of leaned in to it while trying to give it a big push and next thing I know - it flipped over. As it did so, the top of it hit my left jaw with such a force that it knocked me over and I landed full body weight on my left knee with the garbage can pretty much on top of me.

It was lovely.

I was whimpering in pain. The most I could get out was, "Alice, go get Daddy." My little savior. I lay there crying, whimpering, and staring at rotting tomatoes next to my face. It was just lovely. Dan and Alice came running back to help.

After Dan got me up, we assessed my injuries and I have a very bruised and sore jaw. I feel like I was punched in the face. All my bottom teeth feel loose - not quite loose, but very sensitive. And guess what? I have a dental cleaning appt at 8am tomorrow with full xrays. Lovely. Can't wait to "Open wide." Then there's my knee. It was bleeding, torn skin and all. Very bruised and tender.

Dan got me inside (bless him) and Alice took over. I love that kid. She got me 2 ice packs. She brought me a band aid. She insisted that I should drink some water. Then she told me, "The best thing for you at this point is rest. Let's go sit on the couch and watch The Jungle Book." That's my girl.

So I feel foolish and bruised and sore. And I still need to go out later this week and clean out my damn garden. But for now, I'm going to go take some more Advil and go to bed!

1 comment:

A and C said...

Lol! That is a riot..but I am sorry that you got hurt. At least the Dentist can look and make sure nothing is wrong with your jaw and you don't have to pay for an appointment. If it is any consolation, our tomatoes are horrible, too. Oh well...