Saturday, November 19, 2011

Northern Lights and 100 Years

Alice and I went to the Northern Lights Girl Scout conference today.   I took a workshop on teambuilding which was really outstanding.   Learned so much and can't wait to use my new ideas during meetings and to take my troop out on a low ropes course next Spring.  I also took a workshop on box oven and Dutch oven cooking - made my own box oven and learned how to use it with briquettes to bake basically anything you could bake in your oven at home.   Also learned so much about Dutch ovens and received lots of recipes.  My troop is going to eat well on our first campout!

Alice took a workshop on paleontology and another workshop on slime.  She enjoyed learning about fossils but loved experimenting with slime.  Good stuff!   She came away with 2 new science discovery badges.
This next year is a big one for Girl Scouts - it will be the 100th Anniversary of Girl Scouting in the United States.   To honor this, a woman brought in her private collection (her private collection!!!) of Girl Scout uniforms through the years.   

1910s.
1920s.
1930s.
1940s.
1950s.
1960s.  Alice and I both loved the blouse/skirt on the far right.  I could wear that today!
1970s.   This was the beginning of my involvement as a Girl Scout.
1980s.   I had the Junior outfit in the center.
1990s.
2000s.
And currently, in the 2010s.
What an amazing collection to showcase the history of Girl Scouting.  Thank you Juliette Gordon Low, for bringing Girl Scouts to us, 100 years ago!

And, here's my favorite Girl Scout.  Not in uniform, but sporting her awesome hat from Northern Lights.  Last year, she bought a hand-knit fish hat at the conference.   This year, a sporty one with a flower.   She loves it!

1 comment:

Crystal in Lynden said...

That is a cool look through history!