Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Best Light Show In Town

When my brother was nine, he got glasses. I was jealous and made up a story, or so I thought, that I needed them too. That's what sibling rivalry is all about! After a trip to the optometrist, it was confirmed that I did need glasses and actually had "lazy eye." Geez - I thought I was just making it up. But there I was, stuck with glasses at the age of five.

I've been near-sighted for thirty-four years; able to see without glasses/contacts only about 5" in front of my face. My feet have never touched the floor when getting out of bed without my hand first groping around the bedside table to find my glasses.

Until today. This morning, I woke up and.... I could see. Yesterday I underwent Lasik surgery. The doctor who performed the surgery assured me that he provides "the best light show in town." Indeed, he did! There were lots of bright lights, moving lights, and dots. Almost as good as a Pink Floyd laser show. About two minutes per eye, and it was all over. Truly amazing. Dan and both kids were there and watched the entire surgery. They brought me back to the hotel for a nice long nap, I woke up about five hours later, and I could see. It was incredible.

Before leaving Seattle, I went in for my 24-hr check-up and it was confirmed that I have 20/20 vision. I'm so happy I could cry. I have lots and lots of drops to administer to my eyes over the next two weeks. So if I look a little weepy, it might be a combination of joy and eye drops.

Now I'm curious to see how long it takes my big brother to get jealous and schedule his own Lasik surgery...

4 comments:

Melinda Cool said...

Congratulations! So happy for you--enjoy your new and improved eyeballs. :-)

Tracy said...

That is so great! Isn't it amazing what can be done with eyes these days?

Leslie Parks said...

I have so many questions for you. First, did they give a time frame for how long you need to wait until working out? How long did you have to wear glasses and not contacts before the surgery. Can I ask how much it was?

Jay said...

That is awesome. Maybe I will do it up in Anchorage. I am so jealous.