For the past two months, I've been meaning to drive out to the Deming Eagle Park to see the eagles. Today, we finally made it, but I think we were a bit too late in the season. We got skunked.
Even though we didn't see any today, we did learn some new facts about eagles. I knew that they feed on dead and dying salmon that wash up on the banks and gravel bars. However, I didn't know... that chum salmon runs tend to be larger in even-numbered years and smaller in odd-numbered years, and that eagle numbers fluctuate accordingly.
Ten years ago, an eagle census counted over 283 birds during one day in January along the same stretch of river we were at.
Today's eagle census? Zero.
We even had our binoculars ready.



1 comment:
Michelle, you do some awesome stuff with your kids. Can you email me a list of field trips. I'm always inspired by you. We moved here 9 years ago this Feb. and haven't explored half of what you've done. Thanks for the inspiration.
Post a Comment