Friday, December 23, 2011

Pre-Christmas Hike

Most people think there's something really wrong with me.  But the truth of the matter is...I have a hard time relaxing, hanging out, chillin'.

I had a vacation day from work and I just couldn't spend it sitting around the house.  So, I gathered up some friends, the kids, and we went on a pre-Christmas hike.
So glad Amy and her three were able to join us.
And Heather and her two.
We hiked around the Stimpson Nature Reserve and took the loop around Geneva Pond.   The pond looked like a regular pond to us grown-ups.   But the kids saw something more.
They saw ice.   Really?  Yes, really.   It looked like water, but it was iced over and the kids spent a considerable amount of time throwing sticks and stones onto the ice just to watch them skid across the icy surface.   Good times!
It was all fun and games until Gavin slid.   He slipped.  And then he went right through the edge of the ice.  Amy remained surprisingly calm.   Even more surprising - Gavin remained calm and happy.  It was about 39 degrees and if it was me, I would have been freaking out.  But Gavin thought it was all great fun and happily continued on the hike.
Never a dull moment for three moms and seven kids.  And overall, a great way to burn some energy - I didn't have to relax, hang out, and do nothing.  Instead, I got to exercise, laugh, smile, panic a little bit (the slipping into the ice episode), and thoroughly enjoy myself.

No comments: