Sunday, July 13, 2008

Camping Is The Life For Us...

We went camping this weekend and had a great time! Our campsite was right on a roaring, very full, very fast-moving river. From the moment we stepped out of the car, I was on alert for little people getting too close to the water! But no mishaps and we all had fun.

We enjoyed a long hike on Saturday which followed the river upstream.


The mossy trees were very cool. Just last week, Henry attended a week-long nature day camp, so he enjoyed showing off his recently learned nature info - pointing out the lichen to us and showing us how moss grows on the north side of trees.

Alice found some neat mushrooms growing on fallen trees.

I got a chance to pose with the kids when we stopped to dip our feet in the water.


Back at the campsite...


We may have been camping, but that didn't stop Alice from playing Barbies!

Dan and Henry got in some lessons on the proper use of a leatherman.


Dan enjoyed scaring us with threats to go out in to the raging water.

We were lucky enough to have our good friends Tad and Kerry (and their dog Fiona - don't worry, I didn't forget you Fiona!) join us for camping on Saturday night. The kids were giving some extra love to Kerry and Fiona before bed.

This morning we drove to the top of the mountain and there was .... snow! And lots of it. This photo freaks me out a little because Alice looks so much like I did as a little girl!
Henry was soaking wet when we got back to the car. Dan and Henry threw snowballs at eachother, and Henry slid down the hills - on his feet and his backside.

And here it is... The view from the top!

1 comment:

Melinda Cool said...

Nice blog! I knew you'd go for the plunge...
What were the hikes you did this past weekend? I'm looking for some for us, but want to make sure there's no four-wheeling on the way to the hike....paved is good in this instance.