"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all. " - Peter Drucker
As an individual who has to be doing, moving, accomplishing SOMETHING during every waking hour, this quote made me pause. There are things I do which probably shouldn't be done at all, which don't NEED to be done at all, but I'm just doing them because I need to be doing something. Maybe in the New Year I can pay closer consideration to the things I choose to do - are they useless? Or is there a purpose?
I don't know if I'll be able to change my ways (probably not), but it's nice to think about.
And here's the 2nd one. The speaker told the story of visiting some friends who had a 4 yr old daughter who was sleeping peacefully in her room. All of a sudden, they heard a thunk, a crash, and a cry. They all ran to the girl's room and found her laying on the floor. She had rolled out of bed and knocked over a lamp. The mother asked her if she was having a bad dream and the girl said no. The mother asked if she had woken up and tried to get out of bed and the girl said no. The girl simply said:
"I stayed too close to where I got in."
Profound, huh?
The speaker used this as a metaphor for taking chances, for being creative, for thinking out of the box. I'm going to try to take this one to heart too.
No comments:
Post a Comment