Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Happy Birthday, Alice!

My little girl turned five today. I remember the day she was born...
And the day she turned one.. Two... Three...Was it really a year ago that she turned four? Yes indeed. And today. She's five. Our annual pilgrimage down to the tulip fields on Alice's birthday didn't happen today. All sorts of reasons - rain, Star of the Week at preschool, and most importantly - no tulips! We've gone when the tulips were in full bloom, we've gone when it's just the daffodils and no tulips, and we've gone when it's only the small display gardens and nothing else. But this year has been colder than usual and there are no flowers as of yet. Not even daffodils. So, Alice and I had to break with tradition and stay in town this year. That didn't stop us from having fun though.

A trip to Build A Bear where Alice created her new friend, a pink unicorn. The unicorn has already gone through numerous names and I'm not quite sure what the final name is - Crystal, Crystal Shining Star, Star, Valley Girl, or Valley. I don't know! She had fun stuffing her animal.
Fluffing was part of the process.
And she was thrilled with the final product. Yes, this unicorn has wings. She's a unicorn/pegasus. She's magical.
Then we moved on for a delightful time at a local tea shop. Such a cozy location and wonderful tea for Alice's birthday celebration. We loved the little crustless sandwiches and the scones - yum. It was such a nice tea date for us. Once all the spoons had fallen to the floor, Alice had to resort to a fork. Oh well.Such a lady.
This evening, we went out for Chinese food - Alice's choice - then home for presents.

Good job, Henry! Just what Alice wanted.
She was quite happy with her new Zoomorphs.
And I'm pretty sure she loved her wedding Barbie.
And cake. This was funny. Alice begged to have the #5 candle for her birthday cake when we saw it in the store. So I got it. Tonight I brought out the cake with the glowing #5 candle, and she was so disappointed. She kept saying, "I'm not 1. I'm 5." We said we knew that and the number 5 signified how old she was. She thought she was going to get 5 of the #5 candles. Crazy girl.
She still made her wish.
Ta da. Happy Birthday, Alice!

4 comments:

Grandma said...

Loved Alice's birthday pictures. She looks like she is in 7th heaven.

Leslie Parks said...

Happy Birthday Alice. Wishing you blessing this year. Some how 5 seemed like a magical year for each of my children. They learned to ride bikes, lost teeth and started beginning stages of reading. I guess five is when they go from little older than toddler to big girl. This is exciting!

Uncle Jay said...

Wow. I have a cute niece. I sure hope she had a great birthday.

Tracy said...

Happy Birthday Alice!