This is for part of Henry's Wildlife Conservation pin for Cub Scouts.
They were out there for over three hours and had a good time.
After the tree planting, Dan told me that the two of them were going to one of Dan's friends to brew beer. Sounds like a wholesome activity for a seven year old, right? Henry had a great time - he got to grind the grain and mixed the mash into wort. Or something like that.
Then the two of them went and sold more Cub Scout candy bars for a few hours. Big day. Henry looks worn out tonight.
And Alice? Well, I overestimated her today. And I feel bad. I have been so excited to see the movie, Where The Wild Things Are. She's had the book since she was a toddler (just as I did when I was a little girl) and has always loved it. I really thought she'd enjoy the movie. We watched the trailer and she was very interested. I knew that I shouldn't even try with Henry - he's just not in to movies and it's uselss to force them on him. But Alice? I really thought she'd do okay.
We left, with her sobbing, after about 20 minutes. She was really scared. It was far too intense for her. The book's author, Maurice Sendak, said that children like to be scared, especially when it turns out there's a good ending. Apparently he hasn't met my daughter.
And apparently he's an opinionated old man. This is an online quote:
Sendak said those who think the film version of his children's book 'Where the Wild Things Are' is too scary can "go to hell." The New York Post said the 81-year-old writer/illustrator made the comment during a panel discussion he, film director Spike Jonze, and co-screenwriter Dave Eggers had with Newsweek magazine about the upcoming movie. Asked, "What do you say to parents who think the 'Wild Things' film may be too scary?" The Post said Sendak replied: "I would tell them to go to hell. That's a question I will not tolerate ... If they can't handle it, go home ... Do whatever you like, but it's not a question that can be answered."
Well, there you have it. I was told to go to hell and go home by Maurice Sendak. So, Alice and I came home. She took a nap. I mowed the grass. Then we watched Barbie Swan Lake. That's more our speed, it turns out.
No comments:
Post a Comment