Sunday, May 1, 2011

USS Turner Joy

 This year's Cub Scout overnighter was a trip to the USS Turner Joy, a Vietnam era destroyer.   The Bremerton Historic Ships Association maintains this historical vessel and allows groups to rent it for an overnight experience.

Although I would have loved to accompany Henry on this adventure, I was at Girl Scout camp and so he went with his troop leader and several of the boys in his den.   I gave Henry my old camera and he was excited at the chance to capture some photos to share with us.

It was quite a drive to the ship, and they took a ferry over to Bremerton.  Near the ferry terminal, Henry was captivated by these cool fountains.  He took many, many photos of this.
 I have to admit.   It does look pretty neat.
 Before they got to the ship, the boys explored some other nautical displays, including this .... top of a submarine.
 The Turner Joy!
 On board the ship, Henry took a bunch of photos.  This is a bipod to hold a machine gun.
 This is... part of a bullet.  "A casing of a bullet in the magazine, which holds the ammunition."
Navy Veterans were on board to show the boys the ropes.  And the bullets.
 
I've trained my boy well... he even took some photos of signs!   I love trivia.
There were, oh... about 10 photos of this gull and crab.  He must have been pretty entertaining!
Henry, in a Navy pilot helmet.   Self portrait.   :-)

The boys got to tour the engine room.
And these were the sleeping quarters.  Three on top, side by side.
A photo of the guns on the ship.
The view from the ship.
Overall, Henry did a great job recording his fun weekend.   It was great to look through his photos when he got home. 

Perhaps I missed some of the descriptions in the translation, but I do know one thing.  Henry had a great time!   He came home happy and hoping to go back again next year.

No comments: