Sunday, February 12, 2012

Portrait

 Henry's Webelo den has a goal of earning all twenty pins before they bridge to Boy Scouts next year.  They're on track for it, and each boy has been working really hard.  Henry has eleven pins so far!

One take-home activity Henry had this week was to draw a portrait of a family member for the Artist pin.  Art... Henry... not two words that usually go hand in hand.   He doesn't like to draw, he doesn't like to create - it's just not his thing.   However, it had to be done!

He decided to draw a portrait of me.  His initial attempt...
 It was then I realized just how little emphasis is placed on art in public school these days.  Let's revise that to zero emphasis.   I'm not an artist at all.  I'm kind of in Henry's camp when it comes to creativity, but I have a dim memory of how to draw eyes, how to divide a face into thirds.   So I gave him a crash course and he came up with...
 Not too bad!

Then Alice had to give it a try.  Flowered sun hat Super Mommy!

No comments: