The kids and I love Survivor and we anxiously await the season premier twice a year. To celebrate the event this week, we bought a coconut.
I had never purchased a whole coconut and didn't quite know what to expect. I was relieved to see there was a pre-cut line around it for cracking - that way we didn't have to break out our machetes - although that would have been much more authentic.
The first thing to do was to pierce a hole in the end and drain the coconut milk. We were all very excited to try a drink of the "milk" which looked like dirty water. But our excitement quickly turned to "ewww" - it was gross.
Then the instructions said to "lightly tap" the ring around the coconut. I thought a butter knife would do the trick. Oh no... we had to get out a hammer (safer than a machete) and whack it repeatedly.
Really, really hard. A lot of times.
Finally, a chunk came off.
A few more whacks and it broke in two. So pretty. And so not tasty. Another "ewww." How do those poor people eat coconuts on that show? Do they sneak little packets of Splenda to sweeten it? Because otherwise, it's just gross.
That's it! I guess we won't be applying to be Survivor contestants - we could never handle the coconut diet. Instead, we're happy watching it on TV each week - with our new-found appreciation for their local food choices.






3 comments:
*giggle* *giggle*, I love blog reality. I had no idea the "milk" looked like dirty water and tasted icky. I have heard it's better to toast the coconut in an oven.
My mom used to get coconuts from the store when I was a kid--and it was always a 50/50 crapshoot if it was eww or really sweet and GOOD. The eww is not necessarily rotten (I don't think), just a "yuck, what's all the fuss...?"
Here's hoping your next coconut is a sweet one.
I recently learned that the dirty-water-looking stuff is actually coconut water. And yes, I've also recently learned that it's completely nasty!) But, it's basically nature's Gatorade. It's chock-full of natural electrolytes. Coconut milk is obtained from squeezing/straining the water from the white coconut meat; or something like that...
Post a Comment