Sunday, April 26, 2009

A Change Of Plans

There were 3 things I really wanted to get done around the house this weekend. However, it was far too beautiful outside to be inside. A change of plans was in order!

We went to one of our county parks and took a hike through the beautiful forest. One of my favorite things about living in WA is the vegetation. We have way cooler groundcover here than we did in the Rocky Mountains - there, you basically have pine needles. And some more pine needles. Here, we have this...

I think these are a wild variety of a fuscia/bleeding heart. Or, as I called them when I was a little girl, woman in a bathtub upside down. At the end of the trail, we hiked on down to the beach. It was a wonderful "rock beach" and the kids and I enjoyed collecting rocks.
A perfect day. I'm glad we changed our plans! Dan and Henry quickly found the many tide pools and explored all the wonders. Sea urchins, tiny crabs, mussels, little fish, and more.

We're not sure what these green/pink animals were. But they were everywhere on the beach. (update - Uncle Jay told us they're sea cucumbers)

Bring Henry to a beach, and he'll always find a crab or two.
A nice day...

1 comment:

Uncle Jay said...

The green & pink things are sea cucumbers.

Looks like you had a great time.