Friday, April 17, 2009

Our Many Pets

We made it for many years with no pets. It was quite peaceful. We got a cat a few months ago and she's been a good girl (until tonight - story to follow). Then for Henry's birthday, he got 2 frogs and a snail. Very, very good pets. Then when Grandma was here, she bought the kids an ant habitat. We ordered away for our Harvester Ants and they came today - all 38 of them. So now we can say that we have 42 pets. Not too many people can say that!

When the ants arrived, we followed the instructions and poked a couple holes in the gel stuff (it's the consistency of Jello Jigglers). Next step was to pour the ants in - I did this, not Alice. I wasn't willing to take any risks! And then you're supposed to just let them do their work.
Alice and I went out to dinner and when we returned, there were already 2 very definite tunnels being built. Those ants are busy! One is tunneling, and others are standing by, ready to take the little pieces of gel and bring it to the side of the habitat. It really is pretty fascinating. Look at that! The box even calls it "Fascinations!" Before long, our ant habitat will look like this...
And here's the Pearl story. We returned from dinner and found the bag that holds the frog food in the hall - with teeth marks and little holes in it. I dreaded walking in to Henry's bedroom. He's out of town tonight and I sure don't want to be the one to tell him that the cat ate his 3 pets while he was gone. But it was okay. The frogs and snail were okay - their aquarium still standing. However, there are 4 very distinct scratch marks on the lid of the aquarium. Hmmm... what torture did our poor little frogs and snail go through in the past hour? Pearl is now under close supervision... She had better not even think about tipping over the ant habitat!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

We want one of those! Thank-you for sharing. I love all of your pets.

Michael, Amanda and Brian said...

My cats ate the frog food, too! One night they got into the whole bag, Must be tasty stuff. I put the little amphibians up high to keep them safe. Launching Success does sell the food packets, and now mine is way up high in a tupperware. Silly kitties...