Dan is notoriously hard to buy for. I never know what to get him for his birthday, Christmas, or our anniversary. However, over the years I have come up with some fairly unique ideas. This year, it was Grow Your Own Shiitake Garden. How cool is that? We get to grow our own mushrooms!
When I picked the garden up from the guy - Alex is the owner of Cascadia Mushrooms and he's the most down to earth (get it?), nice guy - it basically looked like a bunch of compressed dirt. Wrapped in plastic. When Dan opened it for Christmas, it still looked like compressed dirt. But then he "shocked" it and started the system of bringing it to life.
Dan waters it every day by spritzing it with spring water. Then it's covered with a plastic bag to keep in the humidity. And that's about all the care it needs. He's been doing this now for about ten days and just tonight, I noticed.... mushrooms!
Some on this side too.
Looks like we'll be enjoying some fresh Shiitakes over the next couple of months. Yum!
1 comment:
If you find yourself with too many mushrooms, I'd be glad to take some off your hands... :-)
Post a Comment