Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Science World

Science World in Vancouver was closed during the Olympics as the building was used for the Russia House, to spotlight the 2014 Olympics. We've anxiously been waiting for it to re-open so we could make a trip up there to explore science. Today was the day!


Alice and Owen had fun listening to their heart beats. Dah-dum, dah-dum.

Then we discovered a new exhibit. It was a lovely room with lots of cool nature stuff to explore. "...the always enjoyable giant inflatable beaver..." You know what I mean if you caught the closing ceremony of the Olympics. Ha, ha..
The kids touched a walking stick who had sticky feet. And one exhibit which was great fun... we got to weigh ourselves and determine how much we weigh in comparison to various animals. By herself, Alice weighs as much as a Giant Pacific Octopus. So does Owen. Together, they weigh as much as a Chimpanzee. Not surprising. I weigh as much as a Komodo Dragon. I thought that was pretty cool - I've seen a Komodo Dragon before and they're not that big! Melinda weighs as much as a Komodo too. Together, the two of us weigh as much as a Giant Panda. Oh boy! We determined that Dan must weigh about as much as an American Alligator and Sean must be pretty close to a Giant Beaver. If we were to put Dan and Sean together, I do believe they might be pretty close to a Greater Kudu.


Isn't science fascinating? Alice and Owen practiced lifting their own body weight. We spent lots of time with the water exhibits and in the shadow rooms. Love the shadow rooms. Then Alice tried out the tornado room. Looked fun... But the smoke stuff was gross! With that, we took our leave. We're happy to have the museum back and look forward to many more trips up there.

No comments: