Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Deep Snow

It's been years (YEARS!) since we last went sledding up at Mt. Baker. For perspective, this was Alice during our last sledding adventure.
And this was Henry.
Weren't they cute? They're still cute today, four years later. Just a lot bigger, and much more willing to go down steep hills.

Anyhoo.... It's Christmas break, and I recruited two of my best friends - Melinda and Kerry - to pack up kids, sleds, gloves, hats, scarves, snowpants, coats, longjohns, goggles, boots, wool socks, and hot cocoa and drive up to Mt. Baker. And, we had a fantastic time!
The clouds were a little dark and gloomy, but our spirits were bright. Sledding, throwing snowballs (Guyan politely held on to his until I put my camera away - thank you, Guyan), and trudging through the deep, deep snow.
There are some great little hills around Highwood Lake and there were very few people there today. The rides down were awesome, the hiking up the hills... whoo! A lot of work. Resting at the bottom was required.
After some sledding and a picnic lunch in the snow, we relocated to Picture Lake. It's not the typical sledding hill and we had it completely to ourselves. It was pristine and beautiful - pure untrampled snow. Well, it was til we go there.
My friend, Kerry.
She wasn't so keen on sledding herself. But when we found this great hill, she couldn't resist. Even... without a sled.
Did I mention that the snow was deep? Really, really deep? When we were at the first hill, it was pretty well trampled, mostly hardpacked, and easy enough to walk on. But on the second hill, you'd just be walking along, and bam! Up to your hips in snow.

We even confirmed that all those warning signs are serious - tree wells are deep! Up to my waist in snow.
Jack wasn't the only one who got a mouth full of fresh snow. We discovered that when you're blazing your own sledding trail, you inevitably get some in your face.
Owen! He was being a stinker and didn't let me get his photo. Come to think of it... didn't get one of his mom either! Hmmmm....
It was a fantastic day. So glad we got to frolic in the snow, just before Christmas, with our friends.

1 comment:

Melinda Cool said...

Don't worry--I got a really cute picture of Owen when you were trying to get his picture. Just had to distract him... But alas, I can't find my camera now! I think it's somewhere at my mom's--I KNOW it made it off the mountain...