Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."

 It's Dr. Seuss' birthday!  Today would have been his 107th birthday.

To celebrate, we enjoyed a lovely dinner of green eggs and.... bacon.   I know, I know - it's supposed to be ham.   But I'm pretty sure Dr. Seuss would have chosen bacon if he could have found a name that rhymed with bacon.

The making of the eggs.
 We took some advice and rather than adding green food coloring which would turn the eggs kind of grey, we added a little blue and a little yellow.   Great advice!  Our eggs were a lovely green.
Add a little cheese (our favorite), and ta da!  Green eggs to go with our bacon.
Some of my favorite Dr. Seuss quotes:
 
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...
 
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.
  
Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.
 
You are you. Now, isn't that pleasant?

You're in pretty good shape for the shape you are in.

From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere.
 
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!

I meant what I said and I said what I meant.

Sometimes you are winners, sometimes you are losers.  You never can win against so many Poozers.

Alice, Henry, and I are off to read I Can Read With My Eyes Shut.   We just might read it in pickle color.  It's a good one.  Happy birthday, Dr. Seuss!

No comments: