Has it really only been two days? Feels much longer.
I haven't had a whole lot of sleep and have experienced an all-time high of "mother guilt." But things started to look up this morning after a visit to our pediatrician. At the ER, we met with so many drs/nurses/PAs - the messages weren't always consistent but the main dr told me no weight on her foot for 6 days, then crutches for 4-6 weeks. Today, our pediatrician tried her in a walking boot cast and really thought she should be okay walking. We tried it and she did great. No crutches, no wheelchair. She didn't feel any pain. Has to stay in the boot 24/7, except for taking a bath, but that's easy enough. And she has to keep it elevated when sitting. We'll go back in 3 weeks and re-assess.
I've been torturing myself with how to manage Alice going back to school with crutches. I can't tell you the relief I feel knowing she has the walking boot. It will be so much easier for her to get around and she'll be more confident at school, able to participate in some activities. My back finally gets a break from carrying her everywhere and I may actually let myself sleep tonight.
My tough girl. Two days after an ankle fracture, and she's walking around, up and down stairs, feeling pretty darn good. Now my job shifts to making sure she doesn't over-do it and forcing her to sit down and elevate her leg. It could have been worse. And my heart is beating easier, seeing the smile on her face.
To ease my mother guilt, my friend Melinda has shared these words of wisdom from Finding Nemo:
To ease my mother guilt, my friend Melinda has shared these words of wisdom from Finding Nemo:
Marlin: I promised I'd never let anything happen to him.
Dory: Hmm. That's a funny thing to promise.
Marlin: What?
Dory: Well, you can't never let anything happen to him. Then nothing would ever happen to him. Not much fun for little Harpo.
1 comment:
Great quote. Glad to hear things look better for Alice getting around.
I hear ya on the Mommy guilt. Did that when my oldest broke his collar bone. "If only, if only, if only..."
Post a Comment