I love anniversaries, birthdays, holidays, traditions. They are not days to be passed over, barely given a thought to. These are days that are "special" and are treated as such.
But somehow, someway, I missed an anniversary this week. And it was even a milestone anniversary (if you count five year increments as milestones!). This past Sunday, July 12 was our five year anniversary of living in Washington.
We moved here when Henry had just turned two years old, and Alice was three months old. I was tired and overwhelmed and couldn't believe we had just left Colorado and moved to a place I had visited one time, I hadn't yet seen the house we purchased, and neither of us had a job. Our relatives and friends thought we were crazy, and at the time, I wondered if they were right. But we did it, and it turned out to be one of the best decisions of our lives.
About a year after moving here, I was still missing Colorado from time to time. In passing, I mentioned something about Colorado and referred to it as "back home" when speaking with my friend, Melinda. She politely told me that I didn't live in Colorado anymore and that "this is your home now." I remember being a little shocked by that, a little taken-aback. And now, all these years later, I embrace this house, this town, this county and state as my home.
Happy (belated) Anniversary to us!
No comments:
Post a Comment