Months ago, Alice and I registered to attend Northern Lights, a Girl Scout conference about an hour south of us, scheduled for today. We've both been excited, looking forward to this event and all the playing, networking, and learning it would offer.
However, the first snowfall of the season arrived yesterday morning with a few inches of snow, ice, and vicious wind. I spent a sleepless night wondering if it was worth it to brave the icy roads and came to the realization that if it was just me, I would absolutely head out on the roads. However, my little girl would be with me and throughout the night, while listening to the howling wind, I was having serious misgivings about going to the conference.
Early this morning, as Alice snuggled up next to me on the couch, I had pretty much decided to call it a snow day and stay home. But then we pulled up the DOT website and the live interstate photos... the roads south of us were 100% clear. Not a drop of snow! I couldn't believe it. The second I saw that, I flew upstairs to shower, get dressed, grab some breakfast, and before I knew it, the two of us were on the road. Sure, the local roads were pretty nasty. But not five miles south of Bellingham, we crossed over some invisible line and the snow and ice vanished. Woo hoo! We made it in time for the first conference session, with about two minutes to spare.
I attended a morning session on Outdoor Leadership training and was in an Experienced Leader Roundtable during the afternoon. Both were fantastic with lots of great information and networking with other leaders from our region. Alice got to play with a bunch of other Daisies and came away telling me that she'd made "three new best friends!"
However, the first snowfall of the season arrived yesterday morning with a few inches of snow, ice, and vicious wind. I spent a sleepless night wondering if it was worth it to brave the icy roads and came to the realization that if it was just me, I would absolutely head out on the roads. However, my little girl would be with me and throughout the night, while listening to the howling wind, I was having serious misgivings about going to the conference.
Early this morning, as Alice snuggled up next to me on the couch, I had pretty much decided to call it a snow day and stay home. But then we pulled up the DOT website and the live interstate photos... the roads south of us were 100% clear. Not a drop of snow! I couldn't believe it. The second I saw that, I flew upstairs to shower, get dressed, grab some breakfast, and before I knew it, the two of us were on the road. Sure, the local roads were pretty nasty. But not five miles south of Bellingham, we crossed over some invisible line and the snow and ice vanished. Woo hoo! We made it in time for the first conference session, with about two minutes to spare.
I attended a morning session on Outdoor Leadership training and was in an Experienced Leader Roundtable during the afternoon. Both were fantastic with lots of great information and networking with other leaders from our region. Alice got to play with a bunch of other Daisies and came away telling me that she'd made "three new best friends!"
During the lunch break, we browsed through craft tables. Several troops were selling items as troop fundraisers. I was most excited to purchase a "dunk bag." This past Fall when we went camping with other Girl Scouts leaders, I coveted all the cool dunk bags that the other leaders had. Now I'm the proud owner of this very cool mushroom bag...




No comments:
Post a Comment