Saturday, October 1, 2011

Hiking At Night

Each Fall, as we get back in the swing of things with Scouts, we also get excited about the annual Night Hike around Lake Padden.   This year, there were several very obvious differences from years past: 1. This year, it was scheduled for October 1st, well before the time change.  2.  It started an hour earlier, well before it was actually dark.  3.  It wasn't raining!  4.  There were a ton of Girl Scouts and Cub Scouts - just over 300.   All good things.

Henry hiked with his Cub Scout troop and they had 27 boys, along with parents and siblings, hiking around the lake.  Wow.  I'm glad I wasn't in charge of that group and making sure we had everyone with us at all times.
 However, I wish my group would have been a little bit bigger...  Of 8 girls in my troop, only 3 were able to make it this year.  But, we still had fun.  Annika, Faith, and Alice stopped at the stations along the hike, sang songs, made animal noises, and had fun just being together.
By the time we got in the trees, it was good and dark.  There's something magical about hiking around the lake in the dark with giggling girls.

There were 8 different stations - the girls got to roar like a lion; they went on a scavenger hunt for red shoes; stuffed scarecrows; and pinned a heart on a tin man.  I don't think there were skis in the Wizard of Oz, but the kids always love this part of the obstacle course.
Another fun Scouting event and something I know my kids will remember forever when they think of their childhood and their years in Scouts.

No comments: