Wednesday, September 1, 2010

15 Minutes

This afternoon, my friend Joelle came over to help me plan our Girl Scout troop meetings for the Fall. At one point, Henry politely asked me if he could make gum with Alice and her friend Avery. My first response was, "No. You have to use the microwave and it's kind of difficult to stir it. Why don't you wait til I'm done and I can help you." He once again asked politely, smiled sweetly, and ensured me he would follow the instructions. I wanted to get back to what I was doing so I said, "Sure."Joelle and I went about our planning. Before too long, we smelled something sweet. Sickly sweet. Then something burnt. Really, really burnt. I called out to Henry to see how long he put the gum base in the microwave and he told me, "I followed the instructions. It said 15 minutes."

No, Henry. It says 15 to 20 seconds.
Smoke in the air, ruined plastic container, burnt gum, and some good laughs at the difference between 15 seconds and 15 minutes. Maybe even a lesson learned on the importance of details and the need to follow instructions.
The three kids settled on some already-made gum. Hubba Bubba was a good substitute to this.

1 comment:

Uncle Jay said...

And the lesson grasshopper, is that a mother's first instincts are the correct ones.