Today, today, today was the day! I got to pick up Alice - aka Huckleberry (her camp name) - from Girl Scout Camp. When I arrived, I had to wait in an incredibly long line (okay, it took like 10 minutes) and at one point, I thought I might get a little hysterical and insist that I be moved to the front of the line so that I could sign the damn form already and go get my girl. But then I realized that many other mothers probably felt the same way, so I breathed in through my nose and out through my mouth and waited my turn. As soon as I signed the form, I walked briskly over to Alice's unit pick-up location. I was walking down the trail and suddenly, there she was, waving at me. I walked faster. She walked faster. Then we both broke out into a run at the same time and I scooped her up! I don't think I'll ever forget that moment.
She had such a fantastic camp experience! All smiles and full of stories and jokes and giggles. She loved it. It was a 2 hr ride home and she spent the first hour and 20 minutes telling me stories and singing camp songs (who knew there were so many camp songs?). Then, mid-sentence, her head tilted back and she was out like a rock for the rest of the trip.
Since we got home, I've heard even more. They went on the lake in a rowboat, picked berries, helped in the garden, hiked, explored animal tracks, identified plants, made paper, went "polar bearing" (swimming in the lake at 7am!), sunrise painting, and more. Her very favorite part of camp? She ate stinging nettles. Yep, she did.
I asked her if she got sad about being away from home and she said "only a little bit." I asked if she missed being tucked in at bedtime and her response brought tears to my eyes - each night, the counselors sang them a song, read them a story, and then came around and tucked each girl in. Each girl was given the choice of a high five, a handshake, an ET finger touch, a hug, or all four. Alice chose all four each night. My girl was well taken care of this week!
I asked her if she got sad about being away from home and she said "only a little bit." I asked if she missed being tucked in at bedtime and her response brought tears to my eyes - each night, the counselors sang them a song, read them a story, and then came around and tucked each girl in. Each girl was given the choice of a high five, a handshake, an ET finger touch, a hug, or all four. Alice chose all four each night. My girl was well taken care of this week!
Her counselors were Ducky and Meow. When I picked Alice up, they gave me a "Summer Camp Activity Sheet." It listed out their activities and provided feedback on Alice's accomplishments:
- Hikes: Rosalind Bay Trail, Meadows Trail, and Helena's Trail.
- Life Skills: cooperation, caring, friendship, responsibility.
- Boating: row boats.
- Outdoor Cooking: foil, stick, meal planning.
- Basic Outdoor Skills: fire building - A frame, teepee, and log cabin.
Unit Living and Community: "Alice got along well with both groups of girls. I do believe that she made friends with just about everybody living in our cabin."
Counselor Notes: "Alice was a big help this week. When she was asked to do something, she did it. And even when she wasn't asked, she was helping. We feel that she has also come out of her shell since the first day of camp. She was quiet and shy seeming, but now you can hear her talking to everyone and playing with everyone. She has really embraced being at camp and making friends."
I am so proud of my girl.
She brought my old camera to camp. Here are some highlights:












No comments:
Post a Comment